Hydroplast products are based on a polyvinyl alcohol (PVOH). This is a hydrophilic (water liking) and water-soluble polymer which is well documented as being inherently biodegradable. Given the right balance of environmental and microbial presence, it will biodegrade to carbon dioxide, water and mineralised natural biomass.
We can make most everyday items that you would normally make from soft, flexible plastic films. It is more suitable for some applications than for others, but we create tailored solutions dependent on individual requirements. Feel free to drop us an email with your requirements and we will evaluate and find the most suitable solution for you!
Due to the range of safe end of life features, you can dispose of Hydroplast products in several different ways. You can place the product in boiling water. Other methods include, compost, anaerobic digester, or simply in the trash.
This is dependent on the thickness of the product and the environment where it ends up. Sun, water, temperature, micro-organisms and bacteria in the surrounding environment, all have an influence on the time for the product to break down. However, you can always dispose of it instantly by placing it in hot water!
Yes. Hydroplast films can be printed on the same way conventional plastics are printed, however we use ink made with organic pigment and a water based system, to ensure it leaves behind no toxic residue when the product breaks down.
The below list are some examples of standards and tests which the material conforms to. For more information, please email us.
1. Determination of biobased content: CEN/TS 16137; ASTM D6866
2. Composability: EN 14995; EN13432; ASTM D6400; ISO 17088; AS4736; ISO18606; ASTM D6868
3. Anaerobic Digestion: ISO 15985; ASTM D5511
4. Soil: ISO 17556
5. Freshwater: ISO 13975; EN14987
6. Landfill: ASTM D 5526
7. Aerobic wastewater & sewage sludge: EN14851; EN14852
8. Anaerobic wastewater: EN14853
9. Marine: ASTM D6691; OK Marine; ISO 18830 (floating); ISO 19679 (sediment)
10. Recycling: ISO 15270 Guidelines for the recovery and recycling of plastics waste
Join our mailing list for updates on our latest innovations, news, and products: